Business process management or BPM is a particular approach to company management, focused on workflows. This concept implies that business processes should not be static, it is necessary for them to be flexible, constantly improve, and develop step-by-step, following the changes of modern market. A BPM platform is directed at the organization’s sequential activities; it helps employees accomplish identified goals within a given period of time. The systems of the kind send participants certain reminders and indicate the workflows’ progress status, so that the team could do the best job they can. Business process management lets organizations achieve their objectives much faster and with a greater consistency. It is the ideal instrument for modeling, implementation, execution, monitoring, and optimizing of new, more effective and efficient business processes. Let us have a look at the key advantages of BPM.
Benefits of Business Process Management
One should remember that BPM is not a single solution, but the whole combination of procedures focused on driving organizational force through a process-refinement culture. This software helps organizations define indistinct processes, detect the bottlenecks, and make all the necessary improvements. Besides, BPM tools can become the key instruments in the process of total re-engineering of the workflow.
Every platform has its own advantages in their functionality. For instance, you can read about bpm’online and its core features at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bpm’online_CRM. The platform includes a variety of solutions for combining the key modules of CRM and improvement of the organization’s workflows. This software is distinguished from other systems of the kind by its tools and functions, which are specified at https://www.bpmonline.com. However, there are some basic benefits, which you are sure to find in all business process management solutions:
- It is very important for modern organizations to adjust to the constantly changing regulations, market requirements, and environmental conditions. Besides, new ways of working are regularly appearing, and enterprises do their best to get the most out of them. Here, they need customer management software – the one that will facilitate the design of the company’s processes, making them more flexible and adaptable. With BPM, you get the perfect opportunity to make all the necessary changes within your business processes at minimum expense.
- The software of the kind automates most of the company’s repetitive tasks and missions within standard workflows. It facilitates the removal of bottlenecks, establishment of parallel processes, and minimization of unproductive moves. All these improvements let organizations devote more time and effort to other procedures, as the key support functions are carried out by the system. In such circumstances, enterprises achieve increased productivity and cut expenditures.
- Compliance and transparency. Business process management helps enterprises stay in compliance with industry regulations. Using the tools of BPM platforms, they get the opportunity to implement new regulatory requirements as quickly as possible. All this protects companies from delays regarding compliance and inevitable penalties. Having adopted a BPM online system, you integrate compliance into the very life cycle of your workflows. Besides, you get the opportunity to make your organizational processes transparent and visible to the stuff.
- Employee satisfaction. Business process management software will help you make the process of interaction with your employees less formal and bureaucratic. Having got rid of red-tapism, your team can focus on their work, paying less attention to repetitive operations and all manual work. What is more, online BPM software makes access to the company’s database much easier and contributes to automatic data distribution. All this provides for a happier workforce and makes the whole business more productive.
- Customer focus. This is another advantage of such platforms, connected with the employees’ possibility to give less attention to their routine daily tasks. All the processes of the enterprise become more productive, lean, and agile, as a result, the stuff becomes more focused on the client. Business process management implies an increased capacity of the company’s reps to respond to proposals as quickly as possible. They get the opportunity to pinpoint the issues, resolve them correctly, and adopt to the changing client needs. BPM increases the level of customer satisfaction, which is very important for the overall success of the organization.
- Consistency and transferability. Using BPM software tools, companies get a chance to perform their tasks and missions the way they’ve been planned and designed. The problems of the same type are resolved the same way, without the necessity to reinvent the wheel. The fact that the roles are constantly changing does not embarrass the team using BPM software, because they know that most issues are addressed the same. As for exceptional situations, they can also be clearly defined with the chosen tools, and the employees are always sure that the problems are handled appropriately.
- Measurability and sustainability. Business process management solutions let organizations measure their workflows from different perspectives and compare them to the results they’re expecting. Such an approach lets companies manage both people and processes with maximum efficiency. Besides, BPM platforms posses a number of tools for analyzing and generating reports, so the process of decision-making is easy and fast. They let managers streamline their repetitive processes, monitor them, and determine whether these procedures are staying in line with the organization’s objectives. The software of the kind can be improved to adapt to the changing organizational conditions of the company.
Basic BPM Terms
If you are willing to know everything about business process management, start with its glossary. Here’s a list of the terms, which are frequently encountered when researching a new BPM solution.
Activity is a certain step of business process, its limited stage, associated with some action. For example, when implementing a BPM sales product you can match the sales order with the customer account number, and this will be a specific activity within the framework of your implementation process.
Bottlenecks are the special areas, where the appropriate actions should be taken in order to fix and improve the overall business process chain. The processes that help with it can be both short-term and long-term. Most of bottlenecks are found in the manufacturing sector. Short-term bottlenecks do not cause any serious problems, as a rule. As for long-term ones, they can slow down execution of further processes and thus exert a negative influence on the whole enterprise.
Business process is a set of interrelated activities and tasks designed to produce products and assure constant service provision. Specialists often visualize business processes in flowcharts or process maps in order to share them around the organization and connect the dots between different workflows. Business processes are initiated by certain events for the purpose of transforming information, materials or official responsibilities into the desired output.
Business process automation involves reinforcement of computer systems with the purpose of automating the process. This automation can be complete – when the workflows require no human intervention at all. Or it can be semi-automated, with the slight share of human force necessary for decision making and exceptions handling. The process of BP automation includes a number of techniques, such as BP-XML languages, EAI, and so on.
Database is the set of records stored systematically in a computer, so that the company’s employees could consult with it as soon as they need to. Current databases are designed to manage different forms of data, such as text, images, videos, etc. Normally, each record is organized in the form of a data set and is retrieved by the specialists when they need to adopt certain decisions concerning aspects of the organization’s work.
Software engineering is the set of methods and techniques, which make software development more dynamic and systematic. Software engineering can be based on different methodologies and software tools used to create application designs and generate codes afterwards.
How Does BPM Work?
Any business process management – irrespective of its vendor, key features and benefits – is implemented in almost the same way. As a rule, this procedure is performed in the following stages:
- At this step the specialists of the company develop an efficient design of the new processes. They identify the existing workflows, analyze them, and determine their strong and weak sides. This is the period of designing of to-be processes.
- This is the stage when the company introduces several different models of process design. It lets the enterprise determine how various circumstances affect its workflows and choose the most profitable alternative.
- The company implements the chosen business process management software, taking into account the hallmarks of its business processes. At this stage, it is very important to keep a close look at human intervention and other external factors.
- Here the company’s stuff can monitor the major control parameters of the workflows. They track the business processes, screen their performance, identify and verify all the necessary improvements.
- This stage of BPM implementation is based on the data about process performance, which was retrieved from the previous experience.
Key Factors of Successful BPM Project
The main success factors in the implementation of the chosen business process management system are the following:
- Client-focused approach
This trend is already well-established within modern IT systems. Companies place their client at the centre of the BPM implementation process and stand to benefit from the complete overview of their buyers and their relationships. In support of this goal, companies implement customer relationship management solutions, which help them support all these procedures and integrate them into the company’s ERP.
- Process effectiveness
In order for the process to be effective, it should meet the following requirements:
- It should be focused on the core business.
- Build your processes on the basic principles of the given area.
- Make them cost effective in terms of risk management and scalability.
- Your business processes must be controlled by a single point of contact for each client, so that you could ensure high quality of customer relationship.
- Let the processes be managed by certain events; create the unique trigger for every single process, which can be connected with different departments within the organization.
- Speed of implementation
Technologically, business process management promotes the improvements of workflows, and due to the development of service-oriented architectures you can easily implement the platforms of the kind within the organizations of all sizes and areas. Using these technological achievements in the context of a well-defined business sphere, you can catch up with the third success factor – the speed of process implementation. This is the very force, which increases business competitive ability, as it shortens the delivery time of new products and services to the market. Thereby, it ensures the ROI and lets the company increase its overall revenue.